It’s the time of year with holiday parties, gift-giving and snuggling in front of the fireplace on chilly nights. ‘Tis the season for real estate. The few brave house-hunters who do venture out are serious about buying a house and stylish trimmings will make them want to ring in the New Year in your home.
- Create a cozy vibe.The less-is-more mantra of home staging may tempt you to forgo holiday cheer this year. But a few subtle touches like a bowl of pinecones, an evergreen wreath, or a pot of cider simmering on the stove can create a warm and festive feeling in your home.
- Complement your palette.Before you start untangling your tinsel, make sure your holiday collection matches your current decor. If your living room is painted a soothing ocean-blue hue, skip the clashing red garland and opt for white snowflakes or a silver glass-ball wreath. If you’ve got an earthy color scheme, accent with rich tones like cranberries, forest greens and gold.
- Accentuate the positive.Too many trimmings may distract buyers, but the right accessories can draw attention to your home’s best features. Dangle mistletoe in an arched doorway, or display your menorah on the ledge of a bay window; just don’t block a beautiful view with stick-on snowflake decals or clutter an elegant fireplace with personalized stockings.
- Go light on lights.Tone down any garish light displays while your home is on the market. Instead, use simple string lighting to play up your home’s architecture or draw attention to the well-manicured yard.
- Be an equal-opportunity decorator.Leave the life-sized Nativity scene in storage this year, because overtly religious flourishes may be off-putting to some buyers.
- Mind the tree.A tall Christmas tree can help you show off your two-story great room, but make sure the wide base won’t overwhelm the floor space. If your living area is on the small side, save space with a skinny tree.
- Clear the clutter.A few decorations can stir the holiday spirit, but don’t feel obliged to hang every last ornament. Limit yourself to a few hints of holiday flair, but stash the rest away for now.
Let’s talk real estate! We can help you sell your home or buy your dream home.